The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search

Phuket FC protest referee's decisions

Phuket FC protest referee's decisions

FOOTBALL: Following the disappointing away loss to Rayong FC on Saturday (September 14), Phuket FC Vice President Eam Thavornwongvongse and the Phuket FC Team Manager sent a letter to Thai Premier League Co., Ltd. (TPL), organisers of Yamaha League-1, to look into the referees' performance.

By Kazira Hans

Wednesday 18 September 2013, 03:35PM

Alef Pochi. Photo:

Alef Pochi. Photo:

This is not a case of sore losers, but rather Phuket FC protesting unfair treatment by the referee, namely the second assistant referee Adisorn Omnoy, who worked as a lineman in Saturday’s game.

In the letter, Phuket FC referred to video footage of Kraingkrai Chasung's equaliser for Phuket, when he headed the ball up high in the air before if fell down and went in the goal under the crossbar.

The letter stated that Kriangkrai headed the ball that was punched out – after it crossed the line – by Rayong FC's keeper, and that no other footballers touched the ball between the goalie and Kriangkrai.

Mr Adisorn flagged the goal offside, while the video footage showed that it was onside and also not a case of an illegal tackle on the Rayogn keeper. When asked, Mr Adisorn's answer was "It was offside."

This is not the first of suspicious human error in Thai football. In fact, it could have been a case of deja vu, as two weeks ago a similar scene occurred at the very same stadium.

On Saturday, August 31, Rayong FC hosted Singhtharua. The result was a 2-1 victory for the home side as Singhtharua's late equaliser was ruled offside, when the video footage showed the contrary. Other video footage showed that Rayong FC's second goal was clearly offside, but no flag was raised.


Singhtharua’s team advisor and 30 fans submitted a petition, to the TPL asking them to review the referees performances during the match.

On September 7 at PAT Stadium, Singhtharua’s home ground, the angry home fans expressed their stance by burning dummies dressed in black referee shirts.

A week later, on September 10, the TPL announced that after their board had reviewed the video footage, it was clear that the referees' misconduct in the game had damaged the league's integrity.

The first referee was given a 1-year ban, while both linesmen got 18 months each. But the result stood.

After the Rayong game, Phuket FC are merely following in Singhtharua's footstep to seek justice for their team.

Though it will not change the result or cover up the fact that Phuket FC were unable to win with flying colors, it may serve as an example to all referees that their performances are being watched.

comments powered by Disqus