THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

Facial recognition leads to fake-passport arrest

A foreigner carrying a fake Malaysian passport was arrested with $500,000 (B15.9 million) at Suvarnabhumi airport on Friday morning (May 24) in the first passport-fraud arrest based on biometric facial recognition.

immigrationtourismcrime
By Bangkok Post

Saturday 25 May 2019, 09:49AM

The Asian man carrying a Malaysian passport under the name of Oh chee boon went to the airport immigration checkpoint to have his face scanned by the biometric facial recognition system at around 10.30am.

The device found his face did not match what was in the passport chip, said Pol Col Roengron Rimphadee, deputy commander of the Immigration Bureau’s division 2.

The man, 40, was about to board Philippine Airlines’ flight PR731 to the Philippines. He was taken for questioning.

Pol Col Roengron said the man insisted he was the same person shown in the passport but his passport was found to be fake. Immigration officers also found $500,000 in his possession.

Records showed the man had entered the country via Thai-Malaysian checkpoints on several occasions using this passport.

Laguna Golf Phuket

Authorities initially charged him with holding a counterfeit passport with fake visa stamps. The investigation would be extended to find other people involved in the passport fraud.

The man was held in immigration police custody for legal action.

Read original story here.

Comments Here:
Comments Left:
# Characters
Username:
Password:
E-mail:
Security:

Jor12 | 28 May 2019 - 16:41:05

Another comment that merely reinforces the voracity of my claim.

Rorri_2 | 28 May 2019 - 08:47:29

"rest assured J" I'm not sure who "J" is but your own comment certainly reflects what most think about your comments.

Jor12 | 27 May 2019 - 15:41:11

rest assured J, I recall another poster saying there was "sensible, intelligent, relevant comment" on here. Further proof it certainly is not on here.

Kurt | 27 May 2019 - 12:17:00

Amazing things happen in Amazing Thailand.  We all know that by experience.

Is it not amazing that the arrested man in this article could cross many times the Malaysian-Thai borders checkpoints with fake thai visa stamps?

GerryT81 | 26 May 2019 - 19:54:49

"Immigration told me that my multiple re-entry visa was wrong...."What an amazing story.Truly one of the most exciting I ever read on here.Hopefully in the near future we can read more personal anecdotes from his fascinating life.

Kurt | 25 May 2019 - 11:08:37

About 'fake' visa stamps: A few years ago I was departing SuvarnaBhumi with a international flight. Immigration told me that my multiple re-entry visa was 'wrong'. I told him to call a superior. That person asked me to proof that this visa was real! Hey, hello Immigration, that is your job! But, I showed the blue-green visa recu's from Phuket Immigration. Than I could proceed. ...

Kurt | 25 May 2019 - 10:49:29

The money amount on the evidence table looks more about $ 50,000.  Where is the 'rest' of the money?  Were the fake visa stamps not noticed by thai immigration officers during his previous border check points crossings? What is wrong with Immigration? This is about 'national security', remember?  :-)

Rawai targets criminals, rogue drivers with B17mn CCTV camera project

Camera systems are fine, but you have to watch them 24 hours a day in control centres like they do i...(Read More)

Patong police net 13 suspects during Hi-Lo gambling raid

Problem with local Officialdom is they make a big poe-ha about small issues. The real big issues the...(Read More)

Rawai targets criminals, rogue drivers with B17mn CCTV camera project

Yup, real sufficient big speed bumps that can make they not drive faster than 50kmh in order to avo...(Read More)

Free legal service project on hold as ‘volunteer lawyers’ wait for budget

I remember that Patong police station did sack all the foreign tourist volunteer police who were spe...(Read More)

Free legal service project on hold as ‘volunteer lawyers’ wait for budget

Silly me, when I read the first article I thought that these guys were actually volunteering their s...(Read More)

Patong police net 13 suspects during Hi-Lo gambling raid

"The laugh stock of the month" Actually this price is reserved for you,every month. Luckil...(Read More)

Video highlights animal cruelty at Samutprakarn Crocodile Farm and Zoo

This National Geographic article will hopefully shame Thai authorities into doing something about th...(Read More)

Fast & Furious 9 to take on Phuket roads

That's already Fast and Furious everyday on Phuket Roads !! We won't even be able to notice...(Read More)

Rawai targets criminals, rogue drivers with B17mn CCTV camera project

Just install speed bumps in the underpass and no one can drive over 50. Do the same on rawai beach r...(Read More)

Patong police net 13 suspects during Hi-Lo gambling raid

If you like yourself as RTP , wow, in a joined operation (!), make yourself the laugh stock of the ...(Read More)