THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks
The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search

Facial recognition leads to fake-passport arrest

Facial recognition leads to fake-passport arrest

A foreigner carrying a fake Malaysian passport was arrested with $500,000 (B15.9 million) at Suvarnabhumi airport on Friday morning (May 24) in the first passport-fraud arrest based on biometric facial recognition.

immigrationtourismcrime
By Bangkok Post

Saturday 25 May 2019, 09:49AM

The Asian man carrying a Malaysian passport under the name of Oh chee boon went to the airport immigration checkpoint to have his face scanned by the biometric facial recognition system at around 10.30am.

The device found his face did not match what was in the passport chip, said Pol Col Roengron Rimphadee, deputy commander of the Immigration Bureau’s division 2.

The man, 40, was about to board Philippine Airlines’ flight PR731 to the Philippines. He was taken for questioning.

Pol Col Roengron said the man insisted he was the same person shown in the passport but his passport was found to be fake. Immigration officers also found $500,000 in his possession.

Records showed the man had entered the country via Thai-Malaysian checkpoints on several occasions using this passport.

BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET

Authorities initially charged him with holding a counterfeit passport with fake visa stamps. The investigation would be extended to find other people involved in the passport fraud.

The man was held in immigration police custody for legal action.

Read original story here.

CAPTCHA

Jor12 | 28 May 2019 - 16:41:05

Another comment that merely reinforces the voracity of my claim.

Rorri_2 | 28 May 2019 - 08:47:29

"rest assured J" I'm not sure who "J" is but your own comment certainly reflects what most think about your comments.

Jor12 | 27 May 2019 - 15:41:11

rest assured J, I recall another poster saying there was "sensible, intelligent, relevant comment" on here. Further proof it certainly is not on here.

Kurt | 27 May 2019 - 12:17:00

Amazing things happen in Amazing Thailand.  We all know that by experience.

Is it not amazing that the arrested man in this article could cross many times the Malaysian-Thai borders checkpoints with fake thai visa stamps?

GerryT81 | 26 May 2019 - 19:54:49

"Immigration told me that my multiple re-entry visa was wrong...."What an amazing story.Truly one of the most exciting I ever read on here.Hopefully in the near future we can read more personal anecdotes from his fascinating life.

Kurt | 25 May 2019 - 11:08:37

About 'fake' visa stamps: A few years ago I was departing SuvarnaBhumi with a international flight. Immigration told me that my multiple re-entry visa was 'wrong'. I told him to call a superior. That person asked me to proof that this visa was real! Hey, hello Immigration, that is your job! But, I showed the blue-green visa recu's from Phuket Immigration. Than I could proceed. ...

Kurt | 25 May 2019 - 10:49:29

The money amount on the evidence table looks more about $ 50,000.  Where is the 'rest' of the money?  Were the fake visa stamps not noticed by thai immigration officers during his previous border check points crossings? What is wrong with Immigration? This is about 'national security', remember?  :-)

Thai airways reports loss of 122% in Q2

R2. please google "Waldorf school/Name dancing",you can learn something!...(Read More)

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

Interesting to see the helm, where the Captain was at the controls before he realized that he REALLY...(Read More)

Chinese tourist rescued from surf by Patong lifeguards

R2, how do you know what the life guards did and did not do? Were you there? Jeesh...,....(Read More)

Saving the elephant

How does the horse feel about having a steel bit forced into its mouth, tied up in leather straps, w...(Read More)

Phuket Opinion: Click to end the outdated TM30

Re: "my Thai wife and her wonderful family", and you subject them to your constant dispara...(Read More)

Thai airways reports loss of 122% in Q2

Editor, please spare us from some of these incessant, non-sensical ramblings. That is the meaning of...(Read More)

Saving the elephant

I don't even use bits on my ponies so I can agree the west has a long way to go on, er reining ...(Read More)

Thai airways reports loss of 122% in Q2

"Reg.:"What is their educational and experience back "round""[sic]You know ...(Read More)

Thai airways reports loss of 122% in Q2

Pascale, 2 types of air crafts is a suggestion. More types means less flexible cockpit crew planning...(Read More)

Smith's Ashes run-spree sparks Bradman comparisons

" let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!" Mr Winfield, you must be a sain...(Read More)