FIFA WORLD CUP 2018 Kata Rocks
Login | Create Account Poll Currency Weather Facebook Youtube Search

Angry vendors file complaint over Phuket Floating Market flop

PHUKET: Angry vendors from the Phuket Floating Market filed a formal complaint with the Kathu District Chief this afternoon (Sept 20), calling for compensation from the market’s operator after promises of hordes of tourists flooding the market failed to materialise.

tourismeconomicsChinese
By Yutthawat Lekmak

Tuesday 20 September 2016, 07:07PM

The group, representing 73 vendors angry over their predicament, all operate stalls at the market, located opposite Loch Palm Golf Club in Kathu.

The vendors gathered at the Kathu District Office at 2:30pm today after their appeals to the Phuket Consumer Protection office and the Damrongdhama Centre (Ombudsman’s Office) were turned down.

“I want my money back,” said Parichat Ruenrak, 24, who operates a small food stall at the market.

“Then I want to cancel the contract and find somewhere else. We all want our money back,” she said.

“Phuket Floating Market is a dream. Anucha Voranetiwong told us that a lot of tourists, especially Chinese, would be coming to the market, but there have been very few tourists since the market opened – and that has had a direct effect on our incomes,” she added.

Ms Parichat explained that she signed a contract to occupy and open her stall at the market, and started paying rent for her stall, in November last year.

“But we could not move in and open until the market opened. The opening was pushed back time and again – more than seven times,” Ms Parichat said.

The market finally opened to much fanfare on May 18, with Phuket Vice Governor Khajornkiet Rakpanichmanee presiding over the opening ceremony, which was also attended by Kathu Mayor Chaianan Suthikul. (See story here.)

However, Ms Parichat – and her 72 fellow stall holders – under the rental agreement they each signed now face a fine of B3,000 per day if they do not open their stalls.

QSI International School Phuket

“Many people have filed complaints to the Damrongdhama Centre about the Phuket Floating Market, that the market is not attracting the number of tourists like we were told – and as promoted before the market opened – but there has not been any response from officials,” Ms Parichat told The Phuket News.

“I invested B500,000 with my partner, that includes everything. Other people have spent a lot of money, also. I am really in trouble,” she said.

Many of the vendors The Phuket News spoke with said they faced the same predicament – they could not close their stalls to save money as they faced the same B3,000 a day fine.

Kathu District Chief Sayan Chanachaiwong promised to review the vendors’ predicament. “I will receive your complaint, then I will call the owner of the Floating Market to come and talk with me and clear this up.”

However, he added, “Much of this also depends on the contract, what it says and what is stipulated as agreed.”

The Phuket News today tracked down Anucha Voranetiwong, General Manager of P. R.A. Solution Co, which operates Phuket Floating Market.

Asked for his response to the vendors’ plight, he said, “Whatever they complain about is their problem. We must abide by the contract.”

Asked whether he would meet with the aggrieved vendors to discuss their situation, Mr Anucha said, “I will send my representative to cover.”

Then he walked away.

Comments Here:
Comments Left:
# Characters
Username:
Password:
E-mail:
Security:

Jor12 | 03 August 2017 - 13:08:10

Paully44...eagle has made a factual observation. The article was published in 20 September 2016, it's now August 2017.

Given that Pavel reports that the buildings are now being demolished, what relevance now are your comments being directed to vendors? Nothing.

Referring to past comments merely highlights inconsistencies in comments being made.

Pauly44 | 03 August 2017 - 10:16:34

Eagle; WTF is your comment about & how is it relevant to the article?? I thought trolling through all the old posts was something you did seeing as you constantly remind posters of what they said before with date/time etc. Just because you have nothing better to do, don't assume others do.

Eagle | 02 August 2017 - 15:12:41

Pauly44,many more old/outdated articles for you to comment on.Just scroll/troll through the archive!

Pauly44 | 01 August 2017 - 18:56:24

These vendors need to grow up, they made a poor business decision based on false promises, they only have themselves to blame, nobody owes them a successful business, get over it.

Pavel | 01 August 2017 - 18:14:58

I see the floating market is no more and it looks like the buildings are being dismantled

Fritz Pinguin | 25 September 2016 - 20:41:38

Re: Markthalang | 24 September 2016 - 17:09:24

Thanks for confirming my notice.

Sir Burr | 25 September 2016 - 12:05:13

Well, whoopdi-doo.
Phuket has been my home a decade longer than you and I can also speak Thai. Seems to me, I threw away my RTG whilst you kept yours.

Joe12 | 25 September 2016 - 12:02:28

Sir Burr...lol sorry to disappoint you. I am not an international reader. You know nothing about me. I could actually be Thai! You merely demonstrate the level of mentality and competency of commentators here.

Kurt...Writing to redress the excesses and falsehood by the zenophobic and ethnocentrists (those who judge other groups relative to their own ethnic group or culture, especially with conc...

Kurt | 25 September 2016 - 11:49:18

Sir Burr: Sorry, international readers also read the Bangkok post, and publications in international papers/tv.

These are stronger opinions confirming my softer approach.
Hope you can find your reading/reaction balance back.

Telling other readers what to read or not to read is a bit weird. Doesn't?
Other readers read what they like to read.
Different people, different thinking.
Just ...

swerv | 25 September 2016 - 11:29:29

Kurt: I do comment occasionally on BP under a different pseudonym and TV, i say occasionally because most of the comments are intelligently written not non factual, unconnected, garbage.

Phuket Governor leads beach cleanup ahead of HM King Birthday

They need a reason to clean their country when they just trash it the other 364 days of the year...A...(Read More)

Phuket search launched for jet-ski rider missing in storm

It would be a good idea to stop publishing derogatory comments. That would save more than 50% of sp...(Read More)

Phuket on alert over beach surf danger

Funny that ISLA has to volunteer to be the watchdog for hazardous beach conditions, because the immi...(Read More)

Tourists storm-stranded on Koh Racha safely returned to Phuket

19.July 2018.Table Rock Lake/Missouri. A tourist boat capsizes in bad weather.There was a storm warn...(Read More)

Phuket search launched for jet-ski rider missing in storm

Editor, my bad, in my comment the Editor replaced names with ... so may not make a lot of sense, how...(Read More)

Phuket search launched for jet-ski rider missing in storm

Please note that the comments on this thread have gone off topic and are becoming increasingly perso...(Read More)

Phuket search launched for jet-ski rider missing in storm

Regarding Thai road carnage it's a dead argument, there is no doubt Thai's are the world'...(Read More)

Phuket search launched for jet-ski rider missing in storm

Oh dear dear me, it appears the gang of Thai apologists has created a new account and going as ....,...(Read More)

Phuket search launched for jet-ski rider missing in storm

@ Wiesel, I have just come back from Bali, the roads are more congested that Phuket, yet I do NOT se...(Read More)

Tourists storm-stranded on Koh Racha safely returned to Phuket

@ Asterix, sadly tourist put their faith in the hands of people they believe are "professionals...(Read More)